Monument dedicated to the Doge Francesco Dandolo

The chapter house is so-called because it was used for the meetings of the friars. Following the in-depth restoration in the 20th century, out of all the monuments once located here only one is left, the monument dedicated to the Doge Francesco Dandolo (1329-1339). He is laid to rest in a Byzantine style urn which was once entirely covered in gold. On the front there is the Death of the Virgin surrounded by the apostles. In the centre of the sculpture is the Redeemer who is carrying Mary’s soul up to Heaven in the form of a child in swaddling bands while on the sides of the monument the anonymous artist portrays two angels and the symbols of the Evangelists, St. Mark and St. John.